Sunday, February 24, 2008

I read this on STOMP and I got quite disgusted by the idea of pee spread on the MRT floor. I guess we Singaporeans aren't still accustomed to the presence of foreigners here in Singapore.

We may look at the incident as an uncivilized thing to do. In our perception, I would say yes! However, in the view from that woman, she might find it perfectly normal to let her son pee in public (especially when there's no toilet around, or at least she might not be aware of the toilets available at every station). That could be the culture back from where she's from. And she might not be aware of the societal norms in place here.

I guess this comes to a culture shock amongst us but I'm not saying that we shouldn't feel disgusted or angered. I still believe in the saying, "When in Rome, do what the Romans do." I just hope that something could be done to prevent this in the future. jeez..

2 Comments:

  1. FoxTwo said...
    It's not just China people. Years ago, a local woman was telling her son to pee on the tracks when the son complained he needed to go to the toilet NOW!!!

    Of course, as soon as the son peed on the tracks, the speakers came on and the train station personnel chided the woman for telling her son to pee on the tracks.

    I know, cuz I was there when it happened :)
    Vic Tan said...
    Oh... The peeps at Shanghai are certainly more civilised... they make the little kid pee into dustbins! Not to mention the flying spits into the dustbin too!

Post a Comment